When I was a teenager, I heard my aunt giving my cousin some wheatgrass to drink. It got me curious as to what it was and since internet was not entirely available then, I had little idea as to what wheatgrass is all about. Later on, I was able to have access on the internet and found out what it was.
To my surprise it was not just a drink but something that can help benefit the body. Now if you are curious to know what wheatgrass is, here are some important things that you should know about it.
What is Wheatgrass?
The young grass of a wheat plant called Triticum aestivum is what wheatgrass is all about. It grows on temperate areas and all over the United States as well as Europe. This plant can grow indoors as well even though it is purposely grown outdoors. Wheatgrass can be grown if the seeds of wheat are planted in water.
The leaves of the wheatgrass are the ones that are harvested when they are ready. By nature, this plant is a good source of minerals and vitamins like Vitamins A, E, B-12, Calcium, Selenium, Iron and Magnesium. An ounce of wheatgrass made into juice has an equivalent content of vitamins and minerals to an ounce of fresh vegetables.
The Wonders of Wheatgrass
You may agree and say that wheatgrass taste awful but don’t be fooled. This may not be the best tasting food in the planet but it surely is one of the best in terms of nutrients. It also contains some interesting facts. Here are a few interesting things about wheatgrass:
- It can help improve your digestion and only takes a good minute to digest it.
- The word “wheat” actually means gluten-free.
- It’s best to take wheatgrass on an empty stomach so your body can easily absorb the nutrients.
- If your body has toxins, drinking wheatgrass can cause headaches and bowel activity is increased. This often happens when the body is detoxifying but after all the toxins are gone, you can expect high energy as a side effect.
- Wheatgrass contains high levels of oxygen.
- It is a superior green plant as it contains more than 100 elements that the body needs.
- The most common form of wheatgrass juice is powder and as a supplement but you can also mix this to juices, smoothies and even water.
- Wheatgrass is also known for its nickname as Liquid Gold.
- A serving of wheatgrass juice is an equivalent of a pound and a half of dark green, leafy vegetables.
- It’s very high in chlorophyll and has a detoxifying and alkalinizing effect to the body.
- Growing wheatgrass is very easy, you can even start one at home.
The Main Health Benefits of Wheatgrass
1. It helps stabilize your blood sugar levels
Adding wheatgrass in your diet can help improve the lipid levels and glucose of the body. People who are suffering from diabetes are often advised to include this in their diet as it can help manage and stabilize their blood sugar levels.
2. It helps clear your sinuses especially if you are suffering from congestion
Inhaling wheatgrass through your nose or drinking this juice in the morning can actually help remove the toxins in your sinuses. It also helps in breaking up the mucus which helps in declogging your sinuses.
3. It helps clear up your skin
Regenerating skin cells in your body is very possible with the help of wheatgrass. It can also be used as your daily shot or directly applying it to your skin to help get rid of acne, eczema, dryness and even discoloration of the skin.
4. It improves your immunity
Wheatgrass helps improve the strength of your immune system especially during the cold seasons. In return, you can be sick-free even during the harshest of winter.
5. It helps prevent cancer formation
Since it contains high detoxifying properties, wheatgrass can definitely help in keeping the blood clean and oxygenated at all times. It also improves the amount of red blood cells in the body therefore getting rid of cancers.
6. It helps stimulate the circulation of the body
As mentioned, oxygen is increased by wheatgrass and as a result, it stimulates circulation. It also helps dilate the blood vessels which allow more circulation in all parts of your body.
7. It helps improve digestion
If you are suffering from constant indigestion or heartburn (GERD), taking wheatgrass as part of your daily meals can help improve this condition. This is because wheatgrass contains Vitamin B, enzymes and amino acids essential for improving digestion and at the same time acts as a cleaning agent to your bowels.
Wheatgrass also improves fatigue, arthritis, body odor, tooth decay and many other conditions. All in all, we can say that wheatgrass is your ultimate weapon of choice for an improved and healthy body. Include this in your diet today and see how it works out for you. If you want healthy, strong and disease-free body, wheatgrass is the answer for that.