Yeast infection occurs when there are too many yeast cells growing in an area of the body, mostly the Vagina. This is usually as a result of some activities that affect the balance of healthy bacteria in the vagina, Lactobacillus acidophilus.
Vagina yeast infection is usually caused by a type of yeast known as Candida Albicans while skin yeast infection is caused by Candida fungi.
1. Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is an essential oil which is derived from tea tree leaves. Tea tree oil has a lot of medicinal benefits amongst which is fighting fungal and yeast infections. A study carried out on the efficacy of tea tree oil for fighting yeast infection revealed that inserting tampons soaked in tea tree oil inside the vagina overnight can provide instant relief from the symptoms of vaginal yeast infection. However, it is advisable to do this with care as tea tree oil may irritate the vagina and cause discomfort if not properly done.
2. Yoghurt: A bowl of Yoghurt everyday might just be your saving grace from yeast infection. This is because the live culture in yoghurt can help to balance the level of bacteria and yeast in the body. Yeast infection usually occurs when there is an imbalance of Yeast and Bacteria in the body hence foods that can help to increase the amount of bacteria in the body such as natural unsweetened yoghurt, can help to cure yeast infection.
Apart from snacking on Yoghurt, you can also consider inserting some scoops directly on the affected area or using it as a douche. However, you must ensure that you make use of only unsweetened, natural yoghurt for this purpose.
3. Vinegar: Douching with vinegar (Apple Cider Vinegar) is another effective treatment for yeast infection. Vinegar can be used as a douche twice daily for two to three days as a cure for Yeast Infection.
4. Garlic: Garlic is also very effective for killing yeast. This is why you cannot add garlic to rising dough as it will kill the yeast and make it flat. To cure yeast infection with garlic, you simply have to insert a fresh clove of garlic into the vagina and leave it there overnight, after which you should remove the clove and dump it in the toilet.
You would notice a watery discharge which is perfectly normal as the garlic would usually cause such watery discharge in the vagina. This treatment works best in the early stages of the infection, just as you begin to notice the discomfort signaling the beginning of a yeast infection.
5. Calendular, Chamomile, Thuja and Lavender: These four herbs can be mixed together to make herbal tinctures that act as anti-fungal or anti-bacterial and help to build the immune system. This tincture when inserted into the vagina can help to relieve itching, irritation and inflammation. You can also make it into herbal tea to be drunk before bed time.
6. Aloe Vera: Trust Aloe Vera to always have something in store for infections. Aloe Vera can also be used as a topical treatment for Yeast Infection. You only need to squeeze out the gel and apply it to the irritated area to reduce inflammation and irritation.
7. Boric Acid Powder: Boric acid is a weak type of acid that is often used to make insecticides and antiseptics. Boric acid crystals, when inserted in the vagina, can help to cure yeast infection. Simply place the crystals in the vagina before bed for about seven days and your yeast infection would be all gone.
8. Cotton Underwear: Another very effective but commonly overlooked remedy for Yeast Infection is replacing your nylon underwear with cotton underwear. Yeasts are able to thrive in moist environment and nylon underwear certainly promotes that kind of environment. Therefore, it helps to stick with cotton underwear or go for nylon underwear with cotton overlay.
9. Coconut Oil: Coconut oil also possesses antifungal properties which are very effective for killing off yeast infections. Coconut oil is very effective for skin, vaginal and oral yeast infections.
- To cure oral yeast infection with coconut oil, you can just swish the oil in your mouth for some minutes, about 5 to 10 minutes should do, after which you should spit it out. You would find this remedy very effective when you do it at least three times daily.
- As for the skin, you can simply apply the oil on the affected area of the skin or for better results, mix it with other essential oils with anti-fungal properties like cinnamon or tea tree oil.
10. Cranberry: Unsweetened cranberry juice can also fight yeast infections as well as urinary tract infections because cranberry has both antifungal and antibacterial properties. All you need to do is to drink a few glasses of unsweetened cranberry juice daily or take cranberry tablets daily. You can find cranberry tablets at natural health stores.
11. Oregano Oil: Oregano oil is another very effective yeast fighting oil. It contains antifungal properties that can help wage war against yeast infections as well as boost the immune system. You can simply apply oregano oil to the affected area for remedy against yeast infection.
12. Calendula: Yet another herb with very strong antifungal properties is Calendula, a wonderful herb used to treat several skin conditions. Calendula can either be taken as tea or applied topically on the affected area to treat yeast infection.
13. Olives: Extracts made from olive leaves are also very effective. In fact, olive is like a four-in-one treatment as it contains both anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antifungal and antioxidant properties.
14. Loose Clothing: Another thing that helps to fight yeast infection is wearing loose clothing as it allows for free movement of air and oxygen and helps to keep the body dry and free from fungal infection.
Lastly, you should avoid using any harsh feminine hygiene products like douches, vaginal wash, powders and perfumed products as this may upset the balance of bacteria and yeast in the vagina and make you increasingly vulnerable to yeast infection. Instead, you should only wash up with soap and water and ensure that you always stick to a healthy, probiotic diet.