Urinary tract infections, commonly known as UTI is a type of infection which affects the urinary tract, kidneys and bladder. It mostly occurs when a certain bacteria known as E-coli is transferred from the intestinal tract to the urinary tract. It is a very common disease all around the world and affects kids as well as adults.
There are several causes of urinary tract infections. Some of them include
- Poor Hygiene: Not cleaning properly after using the toilet.
- Overuse of antibiotics
- Weak immune system
- Sexual intercourse
- Use of Spermicides.
Urinary tract infection can be very inconvenient and painful and there is no doubt that people who have suffered from a bout of this infection before would want to avoid a re-occurrence at all costs.
Some of the symptoms of Urinary Tract Infection include:
- Irritation of the bladder or the urethra.
- Painful or burning sensation during urination.
- Frequent urination characterized by small amounts of urination at a time.
- Urinary Urgency
- Bad smelling, cloudy or bloody urine.
- Lower abdominal pain
Urinary Tract Infection can however be effectively treated using the following natural remedies:
1. Water: Water is the first thing you should think about when you notice the symptoms of a urinary tract infection. It helps to flush out the bacteria from your urinary tract and also helps to keep the urine diluted. When the urine is concentrated and dark, it may mean that it contains more acid and may be more painful to pass out when you have a urinary tract infection. Therefore, you should try to drink plenty of water in order to dilute your urine and flush out the bacteria.
2. Urinate: It is important that you don’t hold back your urine when you are suffering from a urinary tract infection. Sometimes the frequent urge to urinate might be inconvenient but the more you urinate, the more bacteria you are able to flush out of your system.
3. Avoid Sex: You should also stay away from sex until you are sure that you have been cured of the infection. Sexual activity may worsen the infection as it may cause the bacteria to go even deeper into the urethra.
4. Heating Pad: Applying heat over your bladder may also help. Simply get a heating pad and place it over your bladder area to relieve pains and aches which may sometimes be felt during an infection.
5. Cranberry: Cranberry juice is very good for the bladder. It is especially good for people who suffer reoccurring cases of urinary tract infections.
6. Baking Soda: Baking soda is another very effective remedy for UTI. It contains alkaline properties which can help to neutralize the acidic contents of your urine and cause less pain or burning sensation when passing out urine. To use baking soda as a natural remedy for UTI here is what you should do;
- Mix a teaspoon of baking soda in eight ounces of fresh water. Drink first thing in the morning for one week.
7. Parsley Water: Parsley water is a natural diuretic which can help to cure UTI by increasing the amount of urine being passed out, while flushing out bacteria in the process. Here is how to use Parsley water as a cure for urinary tract infection:
- Boil two cups of water and add about one cup of fresh parsley leaves or two tablespoons of dried parsley. Allow to simmer for about ten minutes then strain and drink.
8. Celery Seeds: Celery seeds are another strong diuretic as they contain butylphthalide. To use celery seeds as a cure for urinary tract infection, you only need to snack on a handful of celery seeds few times in a day. It can also be used as a preventive measure from Urinary Tract Infections.
9. Cucumber: Cucumber is very great especially for people who may have a hard time drinking enough water as cure for urinary tract infections. Cucumber helps to supply the body with extra fluids to flush out the bacteria. Simply rinse and slice and eat at least one cucumber a day.
10. Avoid Irritants: It helps to cut out some certain food and substances that act as irritants in order to avoid frequent reoccurrence of urinary tract infections. Some of them include citrus which increases acidity in urine as well as chocolates, carbonated drinks and caffeine which may irritate the lining of the bladder.
11. Ginger: Ginger contains anti-inflammatory properties and can also help to relieve pain. This is why you should try to take some ginger tea at least once in a day to help relieve symptoms of urinary tract infection.
12. Blueberries: Blueberries help to fight urinary tract infections by preventing the bacteria from attaching themselves to the wall of the urinary tract. Simply make about 1-2 cups of blueberry juice and have them with your meals.
13. Horseradish: Horseradish contains a natural antimicrobial compound known as Allyl Isothiocyanate (AITC) which affects the cellular membranes of bacterium and inhibits its growth or survival. To use Horseradish as a natural remedy for urinary tract infections, simply follow this procedure:
- Grate half a teaspoon of horseradish root and mix with a glass of warm water or milk. Drink this mixture at least three times daily.
14. Cream of Tatar: Cream of Tartar helps to change the pH levels of your urine, making it difficult for bacteria to survive in the urinary tract. You can also add some lime or lemon juice for better results. Here is how to use cream of tartar to fight urinary tract infections:
- Mix a teaspoon of cream of Tatar with a dash of lemon juice. Drink this at least twice daily.
15. Oregon grape Root: Oregon grape root helps to fight E-coli, the bacteria responsible for causing urinary tract infection.
16. Indian Gooseberry: Indian Gooseberry also known as Amla is a rich source of vitamin C which can help to stop the growth of bacteria in the urinary tract. To use Gooseberry as a cure for urinary tract infection;
- Simply add a teaspoon of gooseberry powder and a teaspoon of turmeric powder to a cup of water. Then boil until half of the water evaporates. Drink this mixture at least three times a day.
17. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple Cider Vinegar can also act as a natural antibiotic to prevent further growth of e-coli in the urinary tract. All you need is to add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a cup of water and add some honey to sweeten it up. Drink this mixture twice a day.